Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 175: Just Listen

The entire gulf coast is suffering from the worst oil spill in history. People are losing their jobs, families are being evicted from their homes, and innocent animals are getting killed off. Today the oil arrived at the shore of Destin, Florida. I was bummed we were not going to be able to swim in the ocean, but my heart was broken for all of locals that are going to be affected by this disaster. So needless to say... our plans for today got changed. We ended up hanging out at the hotel, shopping at the local souvenir shop and laying out by the pool. I made 3 separate trips to the shop, because it was SO interesting! They had so many neat things and cute clothes! I bought a teal dress and a cover up for Shannon! In the mean time, a girl in our group passed out by the pool from heat exhaustion. I wasn't there, but I heard she was sitting in the hot tub in the middle of the day and she didn’t drink anything all day! Not a good combination! They called 911 and she was taken to the hospital. She was fading in and out of consciousness- but in the end she was fine! Everyone got all dressed up for dinner and we took pictures (of course)! We ate at a yummy restaurant called Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q! They had incredible cheese rolls and we sang Happy Birthday to Avery, who turned 6! Tonight at worship we were instructed to sit and LISTEN to God. The song The More I Seek You continued to stream through my thoughts.
The more I seek you,
The more I find you.
The more I find you,
The more I love you

I wanna sit at your feet
Drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breath,
Hear your heart beat
This love is so deep,
It’s more than I can stand.
I melt in your peace, it's overwhelming
I thought it was a distraction and I tried to avoid it. Afterwards, we met in a circle to continue singing worship songs. John played that song again and it literally brought me to tears. That has never happened to me before in all of the years that I’ve been a Christian. It was powerful and real. Tears were streaming down my face and Katy was holding me in her arms. I finally realized that God was speaking to me through that song and I was finally able to calm my busy mind and just listen.