Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 358: Unspeakable Joy

 Tonight was Christmas Eve! The entire family went to the 2 pm church service together, as always on this special day. We normally go to later service; however, my dad had to pick up my Aunt Diane and Uncle Robin from the airport. I love Christmas Eve service at River Pointe, because the music is joyful and the lit candles held by all are a simple reminder of the reason for this special season. Jesus was born that man no more may die. That is powerful and worth celebrating! My family and I ate tamales and pasta salad for our Christmas Eve dinner. This was the first time I have ever tried tamales and I loved them! Lauren proposed that we make homemade tamales, but we all laughed. We're not Hispanic... it would have been an epic fail. Instead, we bought them from Berry Hill. I believe we have officially started our newest tradition- Tamales on Christmas. <3 When my aunt arrived, she gave all of the girls matching pajamas. They are light pink flannel dresses with brown bears covering them. She got them from New Mexico and everyone wore them tonight. I can't figure out whether I am supposed to take them seriously, but they definitely make me chuckle! Needless to say, this Christmas we didn't rock our typical Santa PJs! Shannon set out cookies for Santa Clause and the whole gang watched the movie Christmas Vacation together. I am so excited that tomorrow is Jesus' birthday and I am so blessed to be surrounded by the ones I love.
Joy, unspeakable joy
And overflowing where no tongue can tell
Joy, unspeakable joy
Rises in my soul, never lets me go.