Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 201: Just Laugh

Today I mentored kids with the PALs at Oyster Creek Elementary School. We hang out with the extended day kiddos a few times in the summer and it is always entertaining! Anyways, I was playing pretend "house" with a few of the kids today and one girl yelled out, "Who wants to be the Mom?"- And no one responded. Then I asked, "Why doesn't anyone want to be the Mom?" And little girl responded with attitude, "NO ONE ever wants to be the Mom!" I sat there for a few seconds and then said, "Well most of my friends call me Mom- so it feels like I am ALWAYS the Mom!" And she shook her head and with a straight face said, "I am sorry- being the Mom is the hardest job!!" It was so funny and SO true! Later in the day I had dinner with my Mom and spent some time with Marika. She talked a lot, like always! We got on the topic of the "mom" nickname and I told her that it kind of bothers me that so many people call me it. She said, "Kaitlyn, you're a cool mom-- the mom that everyone loves! I am the type of mom that lives with 10 cats and eats cup a noodles every night for dinner." It was a joke and a pretty funny one! I hope that one day I look back and just laugh at the fact that I have always been considered a "mom" to someone throughout my entire life!