Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 250: ROPES!

Last night I spent the night at Katy Lowery's house on a school night. I felt like a little rebel- even though we didn't have to go to actual school today! This morning was the first FLO/SAIL meeting, which is my PALs project for the year. It is a freshmen and sophomore leadership organization that is intended to help them make a positive difference at Austin High School, plan different events and have a lot of fun! Surprisingly after a three day weekend, there was a pretty decent turn out of kiddos!! Afterwards, we headed over to Clements High School for a PALs Ropes Course! We participated in some challenging games, got to know one another better and were reminded of a few key leadership qualities. I learned that Taylor Woods and I are the only ones that have great taste in fast food... what's up In-N-Out?! The most memorable activity was balancing the tennis ball on the strings and landing it perfectly onto a PVC pipe at the same exact time as the other group. We argued the most on the ‘Step & Switch’ challenge, but after a while we finally knocked down our time by over 18 seconds! I believe the most important thing to remember as a leader is there is a time to speak and a time to listen! I definitely got the speaking part down... now it's time to work on the listening.