Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 263: Things That Matter


Today has been one of those days when everything that could go wrong, went wrong. I could sit here and rant on and on about how everything fell apart, how people disappointed me and how things didn't go the way I would have liked. However, one of the sudden changes of events was that our guest speaker for FCA canceled and instead I was chosen to speak at FCA tonight. At 4 pm I BEGAN to prepare my talk... I never like to wait until the last minute for anything, but desperate times call for desperate measures. After school, I bought a bunch of rocks at Wal-Mart. I didn't know their purpose or why I felt the need to buy rocks – but I did. I decided to talk about the things in life that matter. I explained my car accident and how we often feel invincible- like nothing in the world could ever happen to US! September 25, 2009 was the day I reprioritized my life. I discovered there were way too many little 'pebbles' filling up my life, or insignificant things. I forgot to leave room in my ‘jar’ for the most important 'rocks' in my life. I attempted to squeeze faith, love, forgiveness, others and Christ in my life somehow. I grasped the idea of a short life on the day of my accident: If you come to the end of your life and you find out your life is entirely filled with all of the ‘little pebbles’, none of it matters. You have to make serving God and loving others your first priority and let all of the other elements of life simply fill the gaps. I gave every person at FCA a rock to help them remember to always put the things that matter the most FIRST! The question I have for myself today is... "What do I need to do to reorder my life to make sure the first things are in first and everything else is built around them?"