Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 283: Too Much Opa...


Today I volunteered for NHS at the Greek Festival in Downtown Houston. Shannon and Mom came with me- but they came only to spend their afternoon outside! I was initially excited to spend my day serving outdoors and people watch at the festival. However, once I arrived I was stuck inside the volunteer sign in room all by myself. Not only did I not have any other high school students to volunteer with, but the room felt like it was below 20 degrees. I was literally shivering. I had to alphabetize over 2,000 volunteer name tags. Keep in mind we're talking about GREEK last names, so names like… Kostopoulos, Karahalios, Papageorgiou, Papadopoulos, Stathopoulos- ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! My job was incredibly boring, yet easy. Every volunteer that I talked to reminded me of the people in the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. They all have such a thick accent! I overheard traditional Greek music playing all afternoon and saw the entire Karastimatis clan- who are our neighbors! Marika, Christina and Panteli were all dressed head to toe in their Greek attire for their dance performances. My mom and sister got to enjoy the beautiful day outside and eat some traditional Greek food favorites. Needless to say, today there was a little Too Much Opa for me!